Total Time: 15 minutes
- 1 lb plain or whole-wheat pizza dough*
- canola oil
- confectioners’ sugar
- chocolate sauce
- Prepare the dough according to the package instructions. Let the dough sit, covered, at room temperature for 30 minutes before following the recipe instructions.**
- Tear the dough into 16 pieces.
- In a skillet, fry in ½” of canola oil over medium heat until golden brown and cooked through, about 3 minutes per side.
- Dust with confectioners’ sugar and serve with chocolate sauce.
*If frozen, thaw it beforehand according to package directions.
**If using instant dough, do not let sit for the 30 minutes. Just make it as the package instructs.
Do you like funnel cake? Then you will love this quick, easy, sweet-tooth satisfying dessert!
Like this and this, this recipe comes from Real Simple’s 10 Ideas for: Pizza Dough. I never would have thought I’d 1) be able to make funnel cake (err, well funnel cake-esque) at home or 2) enoy a delicious dessert made out of pizza dough! A lot of pizza joints get crafty trying to re-purpose their pizza dough for desserts, too. I have yet to have one that is remotely good. But this recipe will not disappoint. Like I said, not only is it delicious but it’s so incredibly quick and easy.
I didn’t have time to whip up a homemade chocolate sauce so I just used some ice cream chocolate topping! My husband, not a fan of chocolate, dipped some nuggets of sugary, fried goodness in raspberry jam. If you try that, be sure to whisk it real good beforehand to get a better dipping/saucy consistency.
Any other ideas for a delicious dipping sauce or topping? Don’t be shy, share below!